Tuesday 8 October 2013

Lou's ceramic lamps


'Winter’s Warm Embrace'

Lou Cox is a new addition to the Old Forge Pottery co-operative in Eynsham. She joined the pottery in May 2013 and is exhibiting her work in Eynsham for the first time during the weekend of 23 and 24 November 2013.

Lou designs and makes ceramics, sculptures and ceramic lamps. She says: "My work is inspired by sculptural shapes within nature and the curves of the body. I work in porcelain and other types of clay which when lit up, create interesting patterns to create a warm and cosy atmosphere."

The sculptural lamp pictured on the left is called Winter’s Warm Embrace and is hand built in porcelain. Lou explains: "This sculpture had many inspirational starting points. I am interested in how birds flock together. I looked at starlings and admired the way they dance with each other at sunset. This is called a murmuration and is one of the most beautiful natural experiences. I love the way the birds glide and swoop in group formation and by uniting together the birds are safe and protected from predators. I was also partly inspired by my grandfather, who introduced me to nature and taught me about the stars and galaxies.

"I create sculptures that offer a full sensory experience. The use of light, warmth and textures can also be enjoyed by a person with visual impairment."

Winter’s Warm Embrace is unique and glows beautifully when lit up; come and see for yourself at The Old Forge Pottery. The piece is for sale for £95. For more information email LouCox.Art@live.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment